The Hamilton Bulldogs were defeated by the Syracuse Crunch 6-3 in a Monday afternoon game. Former Bulldog Steve Kelly scored two goals to lead the Crunch to victory.
Steve Kelly opened the game’s scoring at 1:49 of the first frame. Kelly received the puck from Mike York before beating Hamilton starting goaltender Marc Denis to give the Crunch a 1-0 lead. Kevin Harvey added the Crunch’s second goal at 8:47. While on a 2-on-1, Harvey elected to shoot, snapping a shot past Denis.
Ben Maxwell cut Syracuse’s lead to one with a power-play marker at 12:23 of the opening period. Yanick Weber sent a pass to Olivier Latendresse, who fed a pass to Maxwell. Maxwell waited patiently before rifling a shot past Syracuse starting goaltender Dan LaCosta. The goal extends Maxwell’s point streak to seven games.
The Crunch regained their two-goal lead while on the power play at 3:32 of the middle frame. Kelly was stopped twice by Denis before he jammed the puck under the goaltender for his second goal of the game. Syracuse took a 4-1 lead at 15:57. Harvey blasted a shot that was tipped by Ryan Garlock and sailed into the back of the net.
Weber cut the Crunch’s lead in half at 4:44 of the final frame. Yanick Lehoux fed a pass over to Weber, who fired a shot past LaCosta. At 6:41, the ‘Dogs pulled to within one goal. Ryan Flinn hammered a shot that was saved by LaCosta. Mike Glumac grabbed the loose rebound before firing it past LaCosta, who was out of position from making the initial save.
Syracuse scored their fifth goal at 11:59 of the third stanza. Michael Blunden sent the puck back to Aaron Rome, who was stationed at the point. Rome blasted a shot that bounced off a Hamilton defender and past Denis to make the game 5-3. Syracuse added an empty net marker at 18:58. Craig MacDonald fired a shot from Syracuse’s zone that cleared the length of the ice and into the empty goal.
1. SYR – Steve Kelly – 6 (Mike York) – 1:49
2. SYR – Kevin Harvey – 4 (Dan Smith) – 8:47
3. HAM – Ben Maxwell – 12 (Olivier Latendresse, Yannick Weber) – 12:23 (PP)
4. SYR – Steve Kelly – 7 (Aaron Rome) – 3:32 (PP)
5. SYR – Ryan Garlock – 3 (Kevin Harvey, John Vigilante) – 15:27
6. HAM – Yannick Weber – 9 (Yanick Lehoux, T.J. Kemp) – 4:44 (PP)
7. HAM – Mike Glumac – 18 (Ryan Flinn, Chad Anderson) – 6:41
8. SYR – Aaron Rome – 4 (Michael Blunden, Derek MacKenzie) – 11:59
9. SYR – Craig MacDonald – 9 (Dan LaCosta) – 18:58 (EN)
Hamilton: Marc Denis (34 shots, 29 saves)
Syracuse: Dan LaCosta (27 shots, 24 saves)