MONTREAL, QC. — Former Canadiens bench boss Jacques Martin is making the media rounds to provide his own special version of “the truth” reviewing his coaching successes
and failures. (Martin doesn’t take responsibility for the team’s struggles this season.) We understand the desire of dismissed personnel who feel a need to having a hand in shaping their own legacy. But Martin is hoping the latest blitz will expunge the memories of Habs fans.
Some of the media apologized for their “tough” questions and gave Martin credit for answering them. The former coach was given the kid glove treatment during his reign with the Canadiens so he was well-rehearsed at being able to make questionable statements without being challenged. Here are a few of Martin’s quotes, some direct, some paraphrased, that we think would have set the polygraph needles dancing.
Top Ten Jacques Martin Quotes that Failed the Polygraph
10. I was in full control of the team when the rope was cut.
9. I believe in a strong forechecking game.
8. I liked the question from the young female reporter. I was just sending a message to Erik Cole.
7. The key to winning is playing well away from the puck.
6. The mistakes of the Canadiens can be blamed on youth.
5. I do my research.
4. My coaching strategy didn’t change when we got a lead.
3. We will play a puck possession system.
2. I think I have a good sense of humour and I’m fun.
1. The best defense is offense and that’s what I’ve always promoted.
BONUS: I enjoyed coaching Mike Cammalleri. We had healthy meetings and discussions.
Category: Fan Focus
About the Author (Author Profile)Rick is the Editor-in-Chief, lead contributor, and owner of the All Habs network of websites. His mission is to build a community of Canadiens fans who are informed, engaged and connected. He is the vision behind all four sites within the network - All Habs, Habs Tweetup, We Are Canadiens, and The Montreal Forum - and is responsible for the design and layout of each. In concert with the strong belief that "Habs fans are everywhere!", Rick is pleased that people use All Habs as a conduit to find and connect with other Habs fans worldwide. He is also proud that Habs Tweetups have allowed fans to meet in person and develop long lasting friendships.
Sites That Link to this Post
- GameDay: Habs vs Pens Lineups, Power-play, Deadline Chatter | All Habs | January 20, 2012